It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Approved MIDI interfaces

Discussions related to Midi Quest 11 Pro, Midi Quest 11 and Midi Quest 11 Essentials
  • Author

soundwerx

Approved MIDI interfaces

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Is there a list somewhere of MIDI interfaces known to work and interfaces to avoid?

Thanks!

Michael Lambie

Re: Approved MIDI interfaces

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 7:09 am

We don't have a list of approved MIDI interfaces per se however, in our experience, the most reliable have been those from M-Audio and Roland/Edirol. MOTU is close behind but they shipped a lot of interfaces back in the late 2000's that have serious SysEx issues. Current interfaces appear to be fine but there are a lot of people out there using these older interfaces and if they have one of these problem interfaces will experience serious issues.

What we do have is a report on MIDI interfaces that we have experienced problems with. You can find this in any of our manuals (pdf, online, or help file). It is the last topic of the installation chapter and is titled "Midi Quest and Midi Interfaces".
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

soundwerx

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
I will report back on my experience buying a interface
you can pick up in the store today (summer 2017) that
will work with MIDIQuest.
I have one of those cheap chinese adapters the looks like an
egg with a USB out one side and MIDI in/out on the other and
I can say that it passes note information fine in both directions
but it will not pass SYSEX information in any direction.
The Akai Advance Keyboard also did not work. Note information
worked fine but I could only send SYSEX in one direction.
Maybe others can chime in with what they have found
does and does not work.

terrybritton

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

The MOTU MIDI interfaces I've used that come with their audio interfaces (Ultralite mk3 hybrid and 828 mk3 hybrid) are not multi-client.

Perhaps their dedicated MIDI interfaces are, but not the ones included in their audio interfaces, just for clarification.

Terry

soundwerx

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 pm

I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and it works transferring sysex and editing.
Plus it is a nice audio interface for recording synths.

wavesequence

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 5:39 pm

soundwerx wrote:Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
I will report back on my experience buying a interface
you can pick up in the store today (summer 2017) that
will work with MIDIQuest.
I have one of those cheap chinese adapters the looks like an
egg with a USB out one side and MIDI in/out on the other and
I can say that it passes note information fine in both directions
but it will not pass SYSEX information in any direction.
The Akai Advance Keyboard also did not work. Note information
worked fine but I could only send SYSEX in one direction.
Maybe others can chime in with what they have found
does and does not work.

My MIDI system is somewhat complex: 3 MotU MIDI Express 128, Midisport 8x8/s Midisport 4x4, Midisport 4x4 Anniversary and Midisport 2x2.
Unfortunately MidiQuest is the only software that behaves in an unpredictable way. MotU interfaces are almost useless, while Midisport ones allow certain Editor modules to work while other ones are stuck (i.s. the bidirectional communication to/from the synthesizer is completely absent or can't be carried out in full).
What lets me speechless is that with other softwares and under different operating systems (both MacOS9, MacOSX and Windows 10) the aformentioned MotU interfaces work without a glitch.
By the way, the only editor module I succeeded using is the one for Yamaha AN1x. The others for Korg Wavestation A/D, 03R/W, M1REX, Yamaha TG77, MU90R, FS1R, Roland M-GS64, JD-990, Fantom XR, JV-2080, Emu Morpheus, Proteus 2000 and many others etc. are useless...

terrybritton

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 pm

wavesequence wrote:My MIDI system is somewhat complex: 3 MotU MIDI Express 128, Midisport 8x8/s Midisport 4x4, Midisport 4x4 Anniversary and Midisport 2x2.
Unfortunately MidiQuest is the only software that behaves in an unpredictable way. MotU interfaces are almost useless, while Midisport ones allow certain Editor modules to work while other ones are stuck (i.s. the bidirectional communication to/from the synthesizer is completely absent or can't be carried out in full).
What lets me speechless is that with other softwares and under different operating systems (both MacOS9, MacOSX and Windows 10) the aformentioned MotU interfaces work without a glitch.
By the way, the only editor module I succeeded using is the one for Yamaha AN1x. The others for Korg Wavestation A/D, 03R/W, M1REX, Yamaha TG77, MU90R, FS1R, Roland M-GS64, JD-990, Fantom XR, JV-2080, Emu Morpheus, Proteus 2000 and many others etc. are useless...

Since upgrading to the MOTU MIDI Express XT, I have had the nearly opposite experience - at least once I learned that one really needs to run that through a USB2 external hub into my machine which only has USB3 internal ports. (Even the black, so-called USB2 ports actually feed into the USB3 hubs). Once I interfaced to my computer via an external USB2 hub, all problems went away.

I now use MIDIQuest with Korg Wavestation, Wavestation SR, Yamaha TX81Z, Kawai K5000s and Ensoniq ESQ-M without any issues.

Terry

andyjh

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I'll add a little support for the MOTU interface.

I use 3x MOTU Midi Express 128, and they work perfectly with everything in Midiquest, previously under Win 7 and now with Win 10,

Michael Lambie

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Yes, on whole MOTU interfaces are great. The ones we have at Sound Quest all work beautifully. I think concern is only necessary if the hardware was built in the 2007-09 range where there were units with issues. New purchases should be good.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Return to Midi Quest 11