It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 pm

TC electronic G System MQ problem

Discussions and announcements for Midi Quest for iPad
  • Author

Lewisb

TC electronic G System MQ problem

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi

I am demoing midi quest on iPad so that I can see how well editing patches on my tc electronic g system works. I am having the following problems:

1) the app automatically opens into the g system patch editor and I can’t found out how to get back to the main screen?
2) whenever I click on a button on the g system editor it always asks to cancel /initialise / get SysEx data but having done that it won’t let me edit anything - is this a limitation of the demo version?

If I can get this to work then I will happily pay the £49, but I am not prepared to pay it if I cannot be sure it will work for me.

Thanks
Lewis

Michael Lambie

Re: TC electronic G System MQ problem

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 pm

1) To close the editor, just tap in the upper left hand corner of the view. It editor will close.

2) Your issues are a demo limitation. What I would recommend is that you select the G System in the main view and press the "Get" button to load the SysEx before opening the editor. Once you have the SysEx loaded, you can double tap to open the editor and you won't be presented with the "cancel/init' message and you can try editing. In demo mode, the number of parameters which will transmit updates to the unit is limited.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Lewisb

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 pm

I have now paid for the G-system add in but I still get the same problems, namely that having connected the G-System and fetched the midi data from it I cannot edit any settings without it asking to download sysex data and I can’t tap in th3 to0 left to exit. (That last point only works if I don’t have th3 G-System plugged in)

Any suggestions?

Lewis

Michael Lambie

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

ok. To be clear, you are tapping in the upper left corner of the editor, not the screen. I suspect that that is what you are currently doing. Alternately, you can two finger tap over "GSYSTEM tc electronic" and you will get a pop-up menu. The first option will be "Back". Select it.

For editing, I am less certain about what you are experiencing because the editor appears to be working here. If you press the "Get" button in Midi Quest's instrument view and then open the editor and press the "Banks" button, are all of the patches correctly listed in the bank?

Assuming it is, tapping on any entry in the bank should load that patch into the edit buffer (you should see the name appear in the green bar at the top of the editor). Does this happen?

Assuming it does then tapping on the "All" button will give you a display of all of the values currently assigned in the patch.

If you can answer these, I can get a sense of where things stand.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Lewisb

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Single tapping anywhere on the editor I get a window that pops up offering ‘Cancel / initialise / get’. Two-finger tapping over the g-system logo in the top of the editor brings up the same pop up window.

Having pressed ‘get’ in the instrument view it does proceed to get data, but then when the editor opens and I press ‘bank’ I still get the same window as described above.

For reference sys3x channel is set to ‘0’ and midi channel to ‘1’

Regards
Lewis

Michael Lambie

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Yes, this is normal operation for the editor. Your first "Get" just loaded SysEx from the unit's edit buffer. You are now selecting an entry in the bank which is also empty. Before selecting a bank entry what you want to do is tap the "Get All Banks" button at the bottom of the editor. This will load all of the bank SysEx from the instrument and you won't be prompted with the message again.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Lewisb

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Brilliant I got it to work. Now the only question I have left is how to a complete back up of all data sysex and patch, and then restore?

Thanks
Lewis

Michael Lambie

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm

At this point, I believe you have the bank of patches loaded as well as the patch in the edit buffer. All you need to do is tap on the Global button to open the global editor then tap in the window. you should get a popup asking how you want to create the Global data. Press the "Get" button to load from the instrument. Once that is complete then you have all of the SysEx. Tap the upper left corner of the editor to close it and go back to the Studio. Tap the "disk" icon to save the SysEx under its own name and you're done.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Return to Midi Quest for iPad