It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 am

Importing old patch banks

Discussion of Midi Quest 10 and Midi Quest 10 XL
  • Author

TomMcC

Importing old patch banks

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey Guys --

I've got a project right now that's going to require that I remix some very old compositions of mine written way back when I had an Atari ST using Notator and X-OR. I have a LOT of patch banks in X-OR format, which is basically a memory image format (not Sysex), and I seem to recall that there was a way to import these into MIDI Quest. Is this possible? I'm still using MIDI Quest 10 XL.

Thanks!

Michael Lambie

Re: Importing old patch banks

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 3:22 pm

It will depend on the instrument. You should be able to import data that is natively 7-bit in the instrument. We don't have an actual X-Or importer although we are considering it for a future version of Midi Quest. I'll have a look at your second message and see if you mention the instruments....
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

TomMcC

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks, Michael. There are three instruments that I need to get the old patch data for - Yamaha DX7, Ensoniq SQ-80, and Korg M1-REX. Any instructions you can provide as to how to open this data would be really helpful.

For the Ensoniq SQ-80, I'm pretty sure the format is exactly the same as for that old Bob Melvin Esqapade program. I do know it's exactly the same 8-bit layout that is shown in the back of the SQ-80 manual - it's not "nibbleized" like it is in the SQ-80's Sysex dumps.

Thanks again!

Michael Lambie

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello Tom,

I apologize for not answering this earlier. The system we use doesn't send notifications for messages that require manual acceptance and I just completely missed this one.

What I would recommend you do is wait for the next major release of Midi Quest. I can't say much more but there is something in there which should help you out substantially.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

TomMcC

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 am

That's fine, but I know that I had success in the past importing these same files, but it was quite some time ago and I haven't had a MIDI Quest installation in a while (it never worked for me under Windows 7, so the latest working version is on an old Win XP machine).

Is there a way under MQ 10 XL to import these? Right now in particular I need to get to my old SQ-80 banks.

Michael Lambie

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 7:31 am

There really is no automated way of importing XOR data in MQ 10. If you know what kind of data is in the file, there is an option in the Studio window menus, "Import Headerless data" that should work with some, but not all, XOR data.

I'm not certain about the differences between XOR and UniSyn but if XOR has an equivalent to Unisyn's UBK files then the next major release of Midi Quest will actually be able to import these files directly.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Return to Midi Quest 10