It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 am

Kawai K5 Banks Will Not Load

Discussion of Midi Quest 10 and Midi Quest 10 XL
  • Author

jonhaight@att.net

Kawai K5 Banks Will Not Load

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Folks,

I'm able to get MidiQuest 10 to request and receive Kawai K5 patches individually, in banks, internal or external. What I cannot do is load them back into the synth from the program. All my other MIDI devices (QS S4, TX81z, K1r, K4, U110, MX-8 D4) work just fine.

Both MIDI and Comm Channels are set to 5, as is the instrument in the Studio. I've gone to the extent of connecting the synth directly to the MIDI Interface as well as setting both buffer count and size above and below the defaults. I've adding SysEx delays in the MIDI preferences.

I'm using a laptop computer running Windows 10 running through an E-Mu xMidi 1x1 USB interface.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
J.D.

Michael Lambie

Re: Kawai K5 Banks Will Not Load

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 6:39 am

Have you read the Fast Tips to ensure that the K5 is set up properly?
Have you turned protect off?

You might try setting the K5 and Midi Quest to use channel 1 instead of 5 and see if this makes a difference.

If everything else is working, there isn't a good reason why the K5 won't other than a setup issue or an issue with the instrument itself. We have seen some unusual behaviour with this instrument so it might be an issue of out of date ROMs.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

jonhaight@att.net

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Michael,

Mea culpa...it turned out to be a speed issue between my laptop/MIDI Interface and the K5.

I'd tried increasing values of "Delay between SysX transmissions" to no effect.

After sending in my post on this, I then increased the "Delay SysX" and "Slow SysX" values to 1.

This worked for individual Singles and Multis with no problem, however, on Block transfers only the first 5 patches make it, the 6th returns a 41h Write Error response from the synth, cancelling the transfer.

Given the twitchy nature of this synth, I'm taking this home as a win.

Thanks,
J.D.

Michael Lambie

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Hello JD,

Thanks for the update. If you want to spend a bit of additional time experimenting then I have a couple of suggestions given what you have discovered.

Set the slow SysEx value back to 0.

Setting the "Delay SysEx" parameter to 1 really slows down the transmission rate and we've actually found that this can cause an instrument an equal amount of difficulty. Try using values of say 10, 20, or 50 and see if this works any better. Essentially, the larger the number the better as far as the operation of Midi Quest goes.

Also, seeing as it looks like a data write issue. Try having "Delay between SysX transmissions" set around "400".
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

jonhaight@att.net

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 12:56 am

That worked like a charm. All 48 patches load without a hitch and considerably faster. I'm currently inserting the delay every 10 bytes, but I'll try higher settings until it stops working, then back off to the last good setting.

Thanks again,
J.D.

Michael Lambie

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it worked.
Michael Lambie
Sound Quest Inc.

Return to Midi Quest 10